We collect data of hate crimes for our advocacy work. Please tell us about a hate crime you, or someone you know have encountered especially in the year 2014. You will help improve the safety and rights of LGBTI people.
OSCE, the Organization of Security and Co-operation in Europe, has asked NGOs to report hate crime incidents. Seta is also going to use anonymous information of the incidents in its advocacy work. Please send your information by April 13th to Salla Virtanen, tiedottaja[at]seta.fi.
Enclose the following information:
- What happened?
- Date, time and location of the incident
- Source of information (you, your friend, read from a newspaper…)
- Victim(s) involved (no names, only gender, age and other relevant information: if the incident is homophobic or transphobic, the victims sexual orientation or gender identity might be relevant)
- Type of the crime (e.g. assault, abuse, vandalism, incitement to racial or ethnic hatred)
- Perpetrator(s) (no name, only gender, age and other relevant information)
- Brief description of incident with bias indicators, i.e. why the incident is a hate crime (e.g. the perpetrator yelled homophopic or racist insults, the crime was against a LGBTI organization…)
- Status of the case, i.e. has the incident been reported to the police and what has happened since (has preliminary investigation been carried out, have charges been filed, is there a court rule)
- Response of the local authorities
- Impact on the victim(s) and the community (e.g. LGBTI community or peer group)